Used Book Collections have been suspended until further notice.
**We have instructed Eagle Storage not to accept any book donations left for us in the meantime as we are paying storage on donations that are left when we are not able to accept and process them. Please do NOT take book donations to Eagle Storage until our book collections resume at some time in the future.**
The Used Book Sale for June 2020 was cancelled.
The Back-to-the-Books Scholarship Online Fundraiser resulted in $8,200 in donations.
We are grateful to the 34 donors!
- 8 donors are Used Book Sale Supporters ($1 – $50)
- 23 donors are Rare Book Collectors ($51 – $500)
- 2 donors belong to the Educator’s Society ($501 – $2,000)
- 1 donor is a Scholarship Hero (above $2,000)
We plan to host a Used Book Sale in June of 2021 and to resume Used Book Collections as soon as possible. We are continuing to store all the books donated during the 2019/2020 collections.
To receive notification about future Used Book Collections, sign up for our Public Programs Notice here.
When donations resume, please note the following guidelines.
We do NOT accept or attempt to resell:
Wet, smelly, moldy, or damaged books
All magazines including National Geographic Publications
“Time Life” books
Readers Digest Condensed Books
Advanced Readers copies/Uncorrected Proof
Foreign Language/Asian Printings (only books in English)
“FREE” Government books
Spiral bound or 3-ring binder books of any kind
VCR tapes / cassette tapes
*We DO accept college textbooks.
*We DO accept plastic covered books.
*We DO accept CD’s, DVD’s, vinyl records, and video games.
Our criteria are based on what the reseller will accept from us after the sale.
We screen Children’s Books according to CPSC guidelines. Download the Reseller’s Guide and see page 18 & 20 of the pdf (numbered page 16 & 18 of the guide.)
· Metal Spiral Bound Children’s Books cannot be resold and will be put in the trash.
· Soft plastic (such as those intended for the bathtub) cannot be resold and will be put in the trash.
· Children’s Paperback Books published in 1985 or earlier cannot be resold and will be sent to SCARCE for recycling.
· Children’s Hardcover Books published in 1985 or earlier may be sold from our Better Books section or may be sent to SCARCE for recycling.
You can take print items we do not accept or cannot resell directly to: SCARCE
Their new location is 800 S. Rohlwing Rd (Rt. 53), Addison, IL 60101
The 61st Annual Downers Grove Used Book Sale was held on June 20 – 22, 2019 at the Henry Puffer Elementary School gym and stage.
Visit the Used Book Sale History page to read more about our Used Book Sale tradition!